Your feet and lower legs are the parts of your body that are furthest away from your heart. This means that gravity does a great job of pulling blood down into these extremities, but also that a great deal of effort is required to return the blood, against gravity, back to your heart. Your veins are tasked with this duty and there are several conditions that can compromise this function. Inefficient circulation in your legs can cause pain and fatigue, swelling, and can compromise your vein health. Compression socks are a great tool to improve blood flow in your feet and legs. Let’s dig our heels in and learn more about the science behind compression socks.
How Do Compression Socks Work?
Compression socks work by applying pressure on the veins and tissues in your feet and legs to optimize blood flow, or circulation. Compression socks will also aid in the prevention of blood clots, reduce pain and fatigue, and minimize swelling. These socks are often graduated, applying stronger pressure on the feet and lower legs and more gentle pressure as they move up the leg.
Compression levels are measured in units called mmHg (millimetres of mercury) that denotes a certain amount of pressure. Over-the-counter compression socks will range from 15-20 mmHg, and medical class socks can range from 20 up to 50 mmHg. Your doctor will be able to advise you which compression level is right for you.
What Do Compression Socks Do?
- Improve circulation
- Relieve pain and fatigue
- Prevent blood clots in the legs
- Prevent and soothe venous ulcers, varicose veins, and spider veins
- Reduce swelling in the legs and ankles
- Promote and support vein health
Who Can Benefit From Compression Socks?
- Pregnant Women: Increased blood volume during pregnancy can put some women at increased risk for leg and ankle swelling, impaired circulation, and varicose veins. Compression socks can reduce this risk and can ease discomfort.
- People With Certain Medical Conditions: People who are at increased risk of blood clots in the legs, also known as deep vein thrombosis, due to family history, genetic disorders, surgery, injury, certain medications, or prolonged inactivity such as bed rest can benefit from the increased circulation promoted by compression socks. People with venous ulcers, and varicose and spider veins can find symptom relief and vein support with compression socks, especially while recovering from treatment.
- Athletes: Compression socks are increasingly sought after by athletes wishing to improve athletic performance and relieve post-workout discomfort and fatigue. Many athletes choose to use compression socks both during and after training and competition.
- Travellers: Extended periods of inactivity while travelling can compromise your circulation and increase your risk of developing DVT, or deep vein thrombosis. Research suggests that wearing compression socks during travel can reduce this risk and support your vein health.
- People On The Go: Anyone who spends a significant portion of their day on their feet, standing or moving, can avoid swelling and fatigue and increase their comfort with compression socks.
Relief And Improved Vein Health With Best Compression Socks Sale
If you are experiencing leg pain and fatigue, swelling, have or are at risk for varicose or spider veins, are pregnant, planning to travel, or looking to support your vein health during athletic training or competition, compression socks will relieve your symptoms and facilitate healthy veins in your legs and feet. Glenmore Landing Vein Clinic in SW Calgary offers the Sigvaris line of compression socks in a variety of styles, mmHg pressures, and uses. We provide our patients with top-quality compression garments at affordable prices.
Best Compression Socks Sale has been helping Calgarians find relief from varicose veins and poor vein health for over 20 years. Our team is committed to providing patients with vein and cosmetic rejuvenation treatments for optimal health and quality of life. To find out more about our catalogue of compression socks or to explore how we can help minimi the symptoms of varicose veins for more comprehensive relief.